Why organic matters
Bloom & Bale uses only 100% organic certified cotton, as certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and the benefits are:
- Grown without the use of any synthetic agricultural chemicals such as fertilizers or pesticides.
- Never uses genetically modified seeds.
- Conserves soil though crop rotation.
- Retains water more efficiently thanks to increased organic matter in the soil.
- Controls weeds through physical removal rather than chemical destruction.
- Controls insects by maintaining a balance between “pests” and their natural predators through healthy soils.
Conventional cotton accounts for 25% of the world’s insecticide market and 10% of sale of global pesticides, making it the most pesticide-intensive crop grown on the planet.
In India, it accounts for 55% of the pesticide usage even though it only occupies 5% of farm land.